8188 SIP Ceiling Speaker
Wideband IP Ceiling Speaker for Voice Paging, Emergency Alerting & Playing Music – PoE
The PoE 8188 SIP Ceiling Speaker is a IP speaker used in a drop ceiling for voice paging, emergency and playing music. The speaker is a fully compliant 3rd party SIP endpoint. As a result, this IP ceiling speaker is compatible with most hosted / cloud and premise-based VoIP telephone systems.
- Public address (PA) IP speaker.
- Secure SIP using TLS and SRTP.
- Multicast scalable.
- Wideband HD voice for high intelligibility speech.
- Dynamic volume control responsive to ambient noise levels.
- Excellent capability for playing background music, supporting Super-Wideband frequency response.
- Talkback capable speaker.
- Customize WAV files for emergency notification / alerting and telephone loud ringing.
- UL2043 certified for installation in air handling spaces.
- Configuration via user friendly web interface or auto-provisioning.
- PoE (IEEE 802.3af).
- Ideal for hallways and common areas in education, retail, hospitality, health care and commercial office spaces.
The 8188 SIP Ceiling Speaker is UL/CSA, FCC and CE certified. The speaker is a self-amplified PoE device.
Wideband IP Speaker
The 8188 SIP Ceiling Speaker supports the Wideband G.722 HD voice codec. Consequently, there is high intelligibility and clarity of audio from the speaker for IP paging of voice announcements and emergency notification. The result is better STI-PA scores, which is important in meeting standards such as NFPA 72 and NEMA SB-40 for Emergency Communication in Education. For example, the 8188 IP speaker was measured to have a STI-PA intelligibility score of 0.95 in an office environment at 70 dBA level with ambient noise of 49 dBA.
Multi-Application SIP Extensions
Multiple SIP registrations are available in this IP speaker, including Page (50), Emergency Alert (10) and Ring (10) extensions. On Page, the speaker will auto-answer when called for making public address (PA) voice announcements. For Ring and Emergency Alert extensions the speaker will play a configurable WAV file from 1GB device memory when the extension is called (e.g., ring tones for telephone alerting, notification alerts for safety / security / emergency events and informational announcements).
Scale Algo IP Paging Speakers Over Any Size Building or Campus
The 8188 SIP Ceiling Speaker supports multicast send or receive. As a result, many Algo IP speakers can be deployed to cover any size building, campus (e.g., classrooms in a school, college or university) or enterprise. There is no limit to the number of devices part of a multicast, and a minimum of network traffic activity is utilized.
A single registered 8188 can be configured to multicast to any number and mix of Algo IP speakers, strobe lights, paging adapters and multicast supported IP telephones.
Multicast provides cost effective scalability using a minimum of SIP registered endpoints, as only the endpoint designated to send the multicast needs to be registered. Devices configured to receive the multicast do not need registration.
Support is available for RTP multicast, in addition to Polycom Group Page, Singlewire InformaCast (part no. 8188-IC) and Syn-Apps Revolution.
Multicast zone paging for up to 50 zones can be configured from a single 8188 IP speaker. Zones can be selected one of two ways. One option is to map multicast page zones to individual SIP extensions on the speaker. Fifty (50) page extensions are available for this purpose. Alternatively, in order to minimize SIP registrations, multicast page zones can be configured in the SIP Audio Alerter as a DTMF key press selection using the dial pad of telephone making the page call.
Note: Additional page zones can be configured by registering individual Algo IP speakers for specific room paging (e.g. school classroom). Speakers with SIP registrations can also be configured to be a member / receiver of multicast zones.
IP Speaker for Education, Retail, Healthcare & Other PA Applications
Together with the Algo 8301 SIP Paging Adapter & Scheduler, a public address (PA) system requiring multiple zones with scheduled bells / announcements can be easily configured and synchronized with IP clocks using the 8188 and other Algo IP speakers.
If desired, the 8301 IP paging adapter can also provide audio to a legacy analog paging system via its line level output, and simultaneously multicast this audio to additional Algo IP endpoints.
Playing Background Music
The 8188 is a music capable speaker supporting the Super-Wideband frequency response. Using the music input of the 8301 paging adapter, music can be streamed to the 8188 speaker as multicast. The music stream can be configured at a lower priority to allow voice paging, emergency alerts and scheduled tones / announcements to interrupt background music.
Dynamic Volume Control & Talkback
Speaker volume can be configured via the web GUI of the endpoint. However, the 8188 speaker’s microphone can also be used to monitor and adapt speaker volume according to background noise levels. This unique Algo feature is called Ambient Noise Compensation. Where many speakers are deployed in a room / hallway / common area, volume can self-adjust to the background noise levels at each speaker location. Ambient Noise Compensation helps to ensure that announcements and alerts are heard but never too loud.
Talkback is supported in the 8188. This feature can be enabled for a page call using the speaker’s microphone.
IP Loud Ringer
The Ring extension on the 8188 is used for loud ringing / night bell applications. The 8188 will play a ring tone WAV file saved in 1GB of device memory when this extension is called. Typically the speaker will be configured in a ring group to include a telephone(s). The WAV file will play for the duration of the ring event until the call is answered. Several default ring tones are available in 8188, however, custom WAV files can be uploaded to the device.
Up to 10 Ring extensions are available to register on a single speaker for this purpose, thereby allowing one speaker to act as a loud ringer for several telephones by configuring different ring groups for each registered Ring extension.
Where audible and visual telephone ring alerting is required, the 8188 can be combined with an Algo strobe light using multicast or a relay.
Emergency Notification Alerting
For notification alerting of safety, security and emergency events there are two activation options available:
- Dial an Emergency Alert extension.
- Connect a button to the speaker’s relay input.
Up to 10 Emergency Alert extensions are available to register on the 8188 SIP speaker, allowing for different types of alerts to be activated when the extension is called (e.g., lockdown, evacuation, shelter, all clear, etc.). Custom WAV files can be uploaded to 1GB device memory. A Call to Cancel feature is available to allow the emergency alert to play continuously for as long as desired until cancelled. Alternatively, the WAV file alert can be configured to play for a pre-set duration. The user does not have to remain on the phone when calling the Emergency Alert extension. As soon as the call is made the Algo endpoint will play the WAV file as configured, making emergency alerting simple and efficient from any telephone or device in the UC environment. If the Call to Cancel extension is configured, the same cancelling extension will apply to any of the Emergency Alert extensions registered.
As an alternative option for emergency alerting, any button providing a contact closure, including the Algo 1202 and 1203 buttons, can be wired to the 8188 relay input using a 24 gauge single twisted pair. Three configuration options are available via speaker’s relay input upon button activation:
- Play and/or multicast an alert
- Call a target extension and play a discrete WAV
- Call a target extension and have a two-way call via the speaker’s microphone
Power for the Algo 1202 and 1203 buttons is provided by the available PoE from the 8188 IP speaker.
Any combination and number of Algo IP endpoints can be configured as a multicast for emergency alerting to cover any size room, building, campus or enterprise.
To sum up, the 8188 is a self-amplified SIP speaker. Therefore no separate amplifier is required. The endpoint is powered via PoE (IEEE 802.3af). Four screw clamps allow for blind mount installation of the 8188 in a drop ceiling, however, the 8188TBR T-Bar Bracket or the 8188T2x2 T-Bar 2’x2′ Panel are available accessories to further stabilize the speaker, if desired. The 8188MEM Hydrophobic Membrane Screen is also available for placing the speaker in areas subject to moisture (e.g. shower). A 1/4″-20 threaded opening is available on the 8188 for Redi-Rod suspended mounting or connecting an eye-bolt for tethering the speaker, if desired. The product is CSA/UL, FCC and CE certified.
Benefits of the PoE Algo SIP Ceiling Speaker
- Super-Wideband audio clarity and intelligibility for public address (PA) and playing music.
- Network managed and supervised SIP and multicast endpoint.
- Fully zone configurable via a web interface. Multicast zones are not dependent on wiring to speaker.
- PoE (IEEE 802.3af) eliminates need for local power supply, and simplifies wiring infrastructure and management.
- Eliminates narrowband FXS port or ATA.
- Multi functional IP speaker for voice paging, emergency notification and ring alerting. Easily integrate with the Algo 8301 SIP Paging Adapter & Scheduler for automatically playing tones and/or announcements for scheduled events.
- Wideband G.722 codec support for HD Voice.
- Multicast send or receive capability for cost effective scalability. For example, mix with any number and variety of Algo speakers, strobes and paging adapters for more comprehensive public address (PA) and alerting solution requirements.
- Supports RTP multicast, in addition to Polycom Group Page, Singlewire InformaCast (part no. 8188-IC) and Syn-Apps Revolution.
- SIP compatibility with leading UC vendors / VoIP platforms.
- Configurable through a web interface.
- Auto-provisioning (i.e., TFTP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS). Also supported: TLS & SRTP (secure SIP signalling and media), SIP over TCP (allows increased packet size over UDP), DNS SRV Record, and CDP/LLDP automatic VLAN assignment.
- Compatible with any third party SNMP monitoring software or the Algo 8300 IP Endpoint Supervisor (Controller).
- Music capable speaker supporting Super-Wideband frequency response.
- Internal memory of 1GB for uploading custom WAV files or recorded messages for notification alerting. Pre-loaded with several ring tones including bell, chime, gong, buzzer, warble, and barking dogs
- Multiple SIP registrations for Ring (10), Emergency Alert (10) and Page (50) extensions
- Programmable relay (dry contact) input or output, supporting Algo 1202 and 1203 illuminated and supervised wall buttons, in addition to Algo 8128 / 8138 strobe lights and 1127 Visual Alerter.
- Microphone for hands-free talkback / intercom.
- Ambient Noise Compensation for automatic speaker volume control based on background noise levels.
- Hydrophobic Membrane Screen (part no. 8188MEM) can be attached to the speaker for placement in areas subject to moisture (e.g. shower).
- UL/CSA, FCC, CE and UL2043 certified.
- Dimensions: 8″ (20.5cm) diameter without trim ring; 9.8″ (24.9cm) with trim ring; total height 7.0″ (17.8cm).
|Power Input: PoE (IEEE 802.3af Class 0) 48V, 12.95W|
|Max Power: 12.95W|
|Idle Power: Nominal 2W|
|SIP Signalling/Transport Protocols: UDP, TCP, TLS, RTP, SRTP|
Multicast & Third-Party Compatibility
|RTP Multicast (Send and Receive 50 Zones)|
|Polycom Group Page|
|Singlewire InformaCast (additional license required)|
Configuration & Provisioning
|Configuration: Web interface or provisioning server|
|Web Interface: HTTP, HTTPS|
|Provisioning: TFTP, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS|
|DHCP Options 66, 150, 160|
|Reboot via SIP ‘check-sync’|
|Supervision: Compatible with any third party SNMP monitoring software or the Algo 8300 Controller.|
|Networking: IPv4, DHCP, VLAN|
|Link Layer: LLDP, CDP|
|NAT: STUN, TURN, CRLF Keep Alive, SIP Outbound|
|Address Resolution: DNS, SRV Record|
|Redundancy: Secondary and tertiary SIP server|
|Time: NTP Server (up to four)|
|Speaker: “6.5” (16.5cm) Coaxial with PEI Dome Tweeter. Mica filled polypropylene cone.|
|SPL: 97 dBA at 1m (1 kHz tone)|
|Frequency Response: 55 – 18,000 Hz (-10 dB)|
|Dispersion Angle: 140° (2 kHz -6 dB)|
|Microphone: Omnidirectional – talkback and ambient noise monitoring|
|Audio Codecs: G.711 u-law, G.711 A-law, G.722 Wideband|
|Audio Memory: 1 GByte audio storage|
|Relay Input: Normally open or normally closed dry contact supervision using Algo 1202 Call Button, 1203 Call Switch, 1204 Volume Control or EOL resistor termination|
|Relay Output: Max 30 V 50 mA (normally open)|
Nominal 12V source, current limited to 40mA
Typical supervision resistor value = 1k ohm
Environmental & Mechanical
|Environmental: 0 to + 40 °C (32 to 104 °F); 10-95% RHnon-condensing. Dry indoor locations only.|
|Dimensions (Product): 8″ (20.5cm) Diameter without trim ring, 9.8″” (24.9cm) with trim ring, Total height 6.9″ (17.5cm)|
|Blind mounts into 8″ hole. Clearance requirement of 5.5″ (14.0cm) above ½” (1.27cm) gypsum board ceiling.|
|Weight (Product): 4.5 lbs (2.0 kg)|
|Weight (Shipping): 6.1 lbs (2.7 kg)|
|RoHS, CE, FCC Class A, CISPR 22 Class A, CISPR 24, CSA/UL (USA & Canada), EN60950
- IP paging from a drop ceiling location in a school classroom / hallway / common area, retail store, hospital and commercial office space. Note: Placement of the speaker in areas subject to moisture (e.g., shower) is possible when fitted with the 8188MEM Hydrophobic Membrane Screen.
- Multicast public address (PA) announcements to many speakers for emergency (e.g., lockdown, evacuation, reverse evacuation, medical emergency, safety alert, etc.) and non-emergency applications.
- OSHA or workplace safety compliance.
- IP loud ringing / ringer or night bell to avoid missed calls in a higher noise environment where telephone ringing is difficult to hear (e.g. call center, restaurant, retail store, etc.).
- Play background music (i.e., stream music as a multicast from the 8301 music input).
- Schedule announcements / tones to play automatically with the Algo 8301 scheduler. The 8301 will multicast audio to any model of Algo IP speaker and paging adapter. For example, school (i.e., class changes, recess, playing an anthem, etc.), retail and healthcare announcements (i.e., store closing, visiting hours, etc.), and workplace shift changes, breaks, etc.
- Combine with all variety of Algo visual and audible IP endpoints to create more comprehensive public address (PA) and notification alerting solutions.
|SIP Ceiling Speaker – White||8188|
|SIP Ceiling Speaker – Black||8188B|
|Algo InformaCast IP Ceiling Speaker||8188-IC|
|Ceiling Speaker T-Bar Bracket (optional)||8188TBR|
|Ceiling Speaker T-Bar 2’x2′ Panel – White (optional)||8188T2x2|
|Hydrophobic Membrane Screen (optional)||8188MEM|
|Call Button (optional)||1202|
|Call Switch (optional)||1203|
|Volume Control (optional)||1204|
|Polycom VVX Ring Detector||2506|