How the Algo IP Doorphone Works
- Visitors press the call button on the 8028 intercom station to initiate calling to a configured extension such as a security desk or hunt group.
- Answering the intercom call enables two-way communication with the visitor. Any telephone, device or client on the UC platform can communicate with the doorphone (e.g., mobile or wireless phone, soft client on a tablet or laptop, desk phone).
- Alternatively, the doorphone extension can be called directly from any telephone or device. The doorphone will auto-answer to permit a two-way voice call via the intercom station.
- During the intercom call the telephone keypad can be used to enter a door open code (e.g. digit 6, or up to four digits). Once activated the 8028 access control relay will permit a momentary unlock of the entrance for the visitor to gain access through the door or gate in a secure and efficient manner.
Note: The duration of the relay activation is configurable via the 8028 web GUI, as is the open code and the extension called from the intercom station.
Secure Door / Gate Access Control
A controller + intercom station are two components of the 8028 IP doorphone. The controller provides the network connection and the relay for door / gate access control. As the controller is generally located inside the premise, the 8028 is a secure solution in the event where there is tampering of the public-facing intercom station. The relay and network connection are in no way exposed, and unauthorized entry to the building or access to the network is prevented.
The 8028 access control relay can connect to any type of industry-standard door strike, gate activation system or access/security control panel. A 30V 1A normally open or normally closed relay is available from the 8028 controller for this purpose. A door strike is not included with the 8028 IP doorphone.
Generally, it is best the strike power be provided using the manufacturer’s power supply, however, the 8028 IP doorphone can provide 24V strike power when powering the doorphone with PoE + (IEEE 802.3at) or purchasing the Algo X24VG Power Supply. Powering the device via PoE (IEEE 802.3af) provides no strike power. Please see the 8028 product specifications for the available strike power amperage with either the PoE + or Algo power supply option. Note: When extending the 8028 outside the perimeter of a building the X24VG Power Supply is recommended for earth grounding to meet safety and regulatory requirements.
Auxiliary Low Voltage Inputs & Outputs
A number of low voltage programmable inputs and outputs are available from the controller and intercom station. Common uses for the auxiliary relays include configuring an input to use an existing doorbell, for example, or a relay output to activate a loud ringer or strobe light for intercom call telephone ring alerting. A door sensor input is also available for configuration, including the option to activate an alarm if the door remains open for an extended period (e.g., tailgating, leaving the door ajar).
Legacy Analog Doorphone Retrofit for Upgrading to VoIP
The 8028 SIP Doorphone eliminates the need for an ATA or FXS port.
When migrating a legacy telephone system to VoIP, the 8028 is ideally suited as retrofit solution of an existing analog intercom. It is often the case that 24 gauge twisted pair wiring is used with legacy intercom systems. This wiring can be re-used to connect the 8028 controller to the Algo intercom station, thereby saving time and money in not having to re-wire. Twisted pair wiring can also be used to wire the relay for door / gate control. Note: The Algo 8028 controller cannot be wired to a legacy analog intercom station.
Benefits of the Algo IP Doorphone
- Network managed and supervised SIP endpoint.
- Eliminates FXS port or ATA.
- PoE (IEEE 802.3af) for plug-and-play network connectivity.
- A two-piece solution including controller + intercom station secures the access control relay and the network connection.
- Twisted pair 24 gauge wiring simplifies retrofit applications when upgrading legacy analog intercom systems to VoIP.
- Extended wiring flexibility of up to 1000 feet (305m) for gate applications outside the perimeter of the building.
- Wideband G.722 HD voice audio for clarity and intelligibility.
- Backlit call button for better visibility in low light conditions.